Alexa can stream music, schedule an alarm, order items from Amazon and do a ton of other things. All of these are definitely useful but with time Alexa is getting ‘skilled’ and there is a whole lot of third-party skills that make Alexa even more powerful.
For those of you who dont know about Alexa, you can read more about it here and if you would like to create your own custom Alexa skill, give Emitrra try here or write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org For now, here is a list of some of the most interesting and useful Alexa skills in no particular order or category
- Skill Finder: Although Alexa skills are one of the best things that could happen to technology, finding Alexa skills is still very difficult and not user-friendly. To solve this Amazon actually created a skill finder skill. You can launch it by saying “Alexa, open Skill Finder.
- United Airlines: Want to know the status of your flight or do a web check? United has you covered through Alexa. All you need to do is, say: “Alexa, ask United to check me in for my flight”
- Startup and Venture Capital: Created by The Net Group for all the startup enthusiasts out there. If you want to seem like a startup veteran, say ‘Alexa, launch startup terms’
- Uber: Need we say more. Now you just need to say it and Alexa will book you an Uber to any place.
- Lyft: Need a lift? With the Lyft skill for Alexa, you can request a ride and get picked up in minutes from the home address set in your Lyft account. If you’ve set a work address, your weekday commute can be a breeze, too. Instead of hailing a cab or waiting for the bus, just request a car with your voice. Lyft is cheaper than a taxi, faster than the bus, and easy to use.
- Fitbit: Link your account and Alexa will tell you how you slept, how many steps you took.
- TED Talks: Alexa can now help us find the inspiration we’ve been looking for. Pick TED talk by interest [nature, business] or simply ask Alexa to play the latest TED talk. Invocation: Alexa, launch TED talk.
- Levi’s Customer Service: Scared to order a pair of jeans online? Worry no more, ask Alexa about Levis return policy, or just get their help while shopping. You’ll be fairly surprised.
- Spotify: As the name suggests, play any song on the Spotify by simply requesting Alexa.
- Capital One: Capital One goes a step ahead with its credit card payments. Make CC payments through Alexa. Their secured check-in process and multiple steps of security ensure your transaction is secured.
- IFTTT: You can use IFTTT to push additions to your Amazon To-do List to Google Calendar, or you can use the Quick Events skill. Say something like “Alexa, tell Quick Events to add go to the grocery store tomorrow at 6” to add an event to your calendar.
- TD Ameritrade: This skill lets you check US-traded stocks, ETFs, mutual funds and major US indices. Say, “Alexa, ask TD Ameritrade for the price of Amazon” to check it out
- Opening Bell: Similar to TD Ameritrade, this skill allows you to ask for a stock price using a company’s name instead of the ticker symbol, such as, “Alexa, ask Opening Bell for the price of Apple.”
- Pizza Hut: Just like Dominos, Pizza hut too allows you to order for a pizza. Just say Alexa, tell Pizza Hut to place an order.
- 7 Minute Workout: Yes, if you are familiar with the 7 minute workout, Alexa has a skill to offer that. The skills also allows you to pause at any time during the workout. Isn’t it cool?
- 5 Minute Plank Workout: This skill walks you through five minutes of various planks with a 10-second break between each.
- Kayak: This is a fairly simple skill for casual research about a trip you are planning.
- Airport Security Line Wait Times: Next time you are flying anywhere around in the US, why don’t you check with Alexa for the security line wait time? Just say, “Alexa, ask Security Line what is the wait time at JFK terminal 2”
- Rock Paper Sizers Lizard Spock: All the big bang theory fans, here is your game.
- Dominos’ Easy Order: You can not only order but you can also track the status of an order you’ve placed by saying, “Alexa, open Domino’s to track order.” Learn more about Alexa ordering and all the newest ways to order Domino’s at http://anyware.dominos.com/.
- Starbucks Reorder Skill: As the name suggests, the skill will not work unless you’ve previously placed a mobile order with the Starbucks app. It can place an order at one of the last 10 Starbucks locations you’ve visited in person. You can also check your account balance and switch between your five previous orders. And remember, if you need to switch the user profile you use with Alexa, say “Alexa, switch profile” to toggle between Amazon accounts.
- Valossa Movie Finder: Did you forget the name of a movie title, do want to know more about a particular film or would you like to find something to watch? Use Movie Finder to describe what you are looking for and it will return you the best results.
- Anypod: AnyPod allows you to subscribe to your favorite podcasts, play your subscriptions or request a specific episode. If you’d like to create your own Podcast skill on Alexa, Emitrr can help you do that in under 5 minutes. Contact us!
- Fast Weather: Just say, “Alexa, fast weather.” You will be given a crisp forecast — something like, “Chance of rain. High: 100. Low: 10.”
- Automatic: Alexa can finally talk to your car with the Amazon Echo skill from Automatic. Some of the fancy things you can do with it our: “Alexa, ask Automatic where is my car” or “ Alexa, ask Automatic do I need gas”
- Tweet Reader: The Tweet Reader for Twitter skill causes Alexa to read the tweets in your timeline, from newest to oldest. You can also ask this skill for trends, mentions, likes, retweets etc
- Twenty Questions: This is a classic guessing game where Alexa asks you 20 questions and gets firing those brain cells. Just say “Alexa, play Twenty Questions” to start a new game. Alexa will ask you questions that you can answer as “yes”, “no”, “unknown”, “irrelevant”, “sometimes”, “probably”, or “doubtful”. She may ask seemingly strange questions or even repeat some — this is normal.
- Baseball Reference: This skill allows you to ask Alexa a limitless number of questions about historical baseball data including statistics and award winners from past seasons. You can request statistics on hitting, pitching etc.
- Play Music Skill — Alexa standard skill. With this skill you can play any song across the world. Simply say “Alexa, play song…”
- Pandora: The Pandora skill streams a station of your choice through the Alexa-enabled device. You first need to register your Pandora account via the Alexa app for this skill to become available. You could say things like: “Alexa, play Today’s Hits on Pandora”
- Area Code: This skill will return a description of the area represented by an area code. Just say “Alexa, ask Area Code where is eight six zero”
- Set an alarm: This skill prompts Alexa to sound an alarm at a specified time. You can also configure this alert to go off regularly by saying Alexa, set a repeating alarm for [weekdays or weekends or a specific time and date]
- GolfNow: GolfNow is the world’s first tee-time marketplace, golfers have the ability to search and book tee times anywhere in the United States. Golfers wishing to book tee times should link their GolfNow account from within the Alexa app.
- GoIbibo: With the Goibibo Alexa skill, you can discover Flight (domestic & international) and Bus prices, get updates on your upcoming bookings and check your goCash Wallet balance. You can also ask Alexa to notify suggested itinerary on your phone. For booking status and goCash balance, you will have to link your Goibibo account.
- UPS: The United Parcel Service lets you find the nearest store, check for the price for shipping and also check if you have any parcel coming you way. Invocation: “Alexa, ask UPS if I have any packages coming”
- Gas Prices: Want to know the cheapest and closest place to fill up your tank? Say: “Alexa, gas prices!” and Alexa will tell you the closest gas stations with the cheapest prices. Gas Prices skill also knows gas price information and price trends across US and Canada.
- Ship.com: Ship.com keeps track of all your online orders, so you don’t have to. Never miss a package again. You’ll receive notifications as your package makes its way to you, so you know exactly where it is and when you’ll get it. Ship.com supports all major US carriers like Amazon, UPS, USPS, FedEx and more!
- Places — The Places skill is meant to simplify the available information about a specific location. Places can help you find where a location may be and offers directions that are sent to your phone. You can invoke the skill by saying: “Alexa, ask Nearby Places for directions to the closest Target”
- Expedia: Dreaming about your next getaway? Easily check prices on hotels and flights and book hotels with the Expedia skill for Amazon Alexa. Just say “Alexa, ask Expedia to search for a flight.”
- WikiHow: Easily learn how to do anything from wikiHow, the world’s leading how-to guide. Step-by-step instructions on every imaginable topic. Become the DIY master of anything, instantly. With the wikiHow Alexa skill you have access to over 180,000 wikiHow articles.
- Translated: Use the Translated skill to ask Alexa to translate short sentences FROM ENGLISH into 37 languages. Alexa will read out the translation for you so you can learn how to pronounce it.
After the skill replies, you can say “Slow Down” if you want to listen to the translation again more slowly. You can also say “Repeat” and it will repeat the translation.
- WebMD: WebMD has the answers to your health questions. Worried about side effects before taking a drug? Ask WebMD “What are the side effects of…” and get a fast, detailed answer. Want to know about a particular health condition? Ask WebMD “What is…” or say “Tell me about…” to get an easy-to-understand description. You can also ask about symptoms, treatments, and causes for conditions, definitions of medical terms and tests, and even diet information. Say, “Alexa, open WebMD”
- Email: Elderly people and others with difficulty using computers and tablets may prefer a voice interface to review email messages. This skill is designed to be similar to voice mail, but it can print. Say, “Alexa, open my email”
- BestBuy: Now locate your favorite electronics store, get the latest deals, learn about return policy and a lot of other things using Alexa. Launch skill by saying:
- PayPal: Want to send or request money within the United States using only your voice? Now you can with the PayPal skill on Alexa. With the PayPal skill, it is easier than ever to check your PayPal balance, and send or request money from friends using nothing more than your voice. To get started, enable the skill, link your US PayPal account, and select your default way to pay.
- RedBox: The Redbox Alexa skill allows you to discover what new release movies and games are available at your local Redbox kiosks. You can ask about specific titles, or what is new this week. You can also learn about the plot, the rating, and who stars in a movie.
- Ola: If you are in India and you want to take a ride to work/airport, you can order an Ola by asking Alexa. All you need to say is “Alexa, ask Ola to book a share and there you go.
- HDFC Securities: Not only does this skill provide on-demand stock quotes, it also includes the ability to set up an account in HDFC securities Demat account.
- Cleartrip: With this skill, you can ask Cleartrip to search for flights from one destination to another at a specific date. Say “Alexa, ask Cleartrip to search flights from Bangalore to London next weekend”
- Vistara: Vistara, an Indian carrier offers capabilities similar to United or Jet Airways. It goes a step ahead in allowing you to search flights as well apart from checking for alternate flights, early flights, cheap flights etc.
If you’d like to give voice to your business, try out Emitrr. We’ve voice templates for everyone and are expanding into different industries rapidly.
Emitrr is a platform that allows businesses/users/developers to design, build and publish Alexa skills. Visit emitrr.com to know more or write to us on email@example.com. We’ve worked with agencies/businesses to help them build a voice strategy for marketing/engagement/acquisition and more.