Table of Contents
Introduction to cleaning business marketing
Cleaning business marketing can be a challenging pursuit because it entails not just selling your business but selling an unparalleled experience.
With over $1.2 billion in revenues, the residential cleaning business in the US is a competitive industry that is projected to grow faster than the economy overall.
If you have a cleaning business or looking to start one, you need to put a solid marketing plan in action to advertise your services effectively.
In this article, we will share smart marketing strategies that will give your business an edge over your competitors while earning a consistent stream of revenue.
Importance of marketing for cleaning businesses
The US cleaning business has a low entry barrier, so anyone can start this business easily. But to make it a resounding success, you need to develop an effective marketing strategy that helps you grow your business as well as your network.
A clear cleaning business marketing strategy will open the doors for higher conversion rates and cleaning leads that will help you stand out among your competitors.
With over a hundred cleaning businesses in your area, you need marketing tactics to set yourself apart. Additionally, you need to connect with your customers and build mutual trust. This is not possible without an effective business marketing plan.
It must reflect your intent and how you value your customers. It needs careful planning and a bit of experimentation to see what works best. However, you can develop a comprehensive cleaning business marketing plan that aligns with your business values and mission keeping these critical elements in mind –
- Product: A product refers to a tangible item that is offered to the customers. In the cleaning business, it is the services that you are trying to sell. Developing your product attributes within the marketable niche will help you develop a relevant product that is loved by your customers.
- Price: Price refers to the cost of your product or services. Do a bit of competitor research to lay the groundwork for determining the appropriate cost of your product or services. If you are new in the market, you can opt for going-rate to be safe. You can also introduce discounts to attract more customers.
- Place: Place refers to the location where you want to sell your commodities. It can be online or offline depending on your business requirements. However you want to offer your services, you must maintain your inventories and ensure that customers are getting the best services wherever they are. To be effective, you can choose from a combination of marketing strategies to maintain your retail interface. Also, be cautious of the changing market trends and adapt accordingly to make the most of them.
- Promotion: Promotion is the most crucial part of an effective marketing plan that refers to letting people know about your products and services. This can be achieved through advertising and promotional efforts across various channels. Some examples include TV, flyers, social media marketing, print ads, word-of-mouth marketing, and so on.
Cleaning business marketing strategies and tools
Let us start with creating a successful cleaning business marketing plan that helps your business grow in less time. Below are enlisted the best marketing strategies to brand your cleaning business –
1. Know your target market
Research well to understand your niche and target audience, otherwise, all your marketing efforts are bound to fall flat. While finding your target client in mind, ask these questions –
What is their age range?
What do they need?
What is their salary range and shopping style?
What segment do they fall in – residential or commercial?
When you understand their motivations, you will be able to correctly target them with a personalized and impactful message.
2. Optimize your website
Like any business, you need a website that is well-optimized and conversion-focused to set your cleaning business up for success. Having a functional website is the most sustainable way to attract customers.
If you don’t want to spend much, you can choose websites with free hosting options such as WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, and more. Make sure to also add your complete contact information on all the pages of your website.
However, creating a website is just half of the battle. It is very important to optimize it as well so that people can find it in the search results. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can help your website rank better and make sure that you are receiving site visitors.
It is highly recommended to add CTA and the option to book appointments to ensure that visitors are getting converted into customers.
3. Grow your local network
Having an effective offline strategy is as important as an online one. You can emphasize your unique selling points (USPs) effectively in person.
Meet up with potential customers, join a chamber of commerce and get involved in community events to meet up with professionals in the same domain and grow your network.
If you focus on providing eco-friendly cleaning solutions, you can highlight or promote that to gain the advantage.
4. Get reviews and testimonials
Getting honest reviews can be a great differentiator for your cleaning business. Ask for reviews after every service. It serves as social proof to build trust and increases sales. According to a report, 84% of customers read reviews before making a decision or buying services.
Keep in mind that both good and bad reviews will happen. It is important to acknowledge them, show your gratitude, and strive to earn more positive reviews. Make sure to get reviews on Google, Facebook, Yelp, and even your website.
You can also integrate a sophisticated software solution like Emitrr with your website that automatically asks for client reviews and also help in review management to boost conversion rates.
5. Set a referral reward program
Happy clients are loyal clients. You can set up a reward program as soon as you start getting good reviews from your customers. Setting up a referral program will ensure that they will promote your cleaning business services among their friends and peers.
Make sure to not be pushy about it. You can incentivize referrals by offering exclusive discounts, gift cards, and complimentary services. When done right, referrals can be a great way to skyrocket your sales and attract more customers. The opportunities are endless and it is a win-win for everyone.
6. Use digital marketing
Implementing digital marketing strategies for your cleaning business can work wonders in a short span of time. The power of digital marketing is often understated in the offline world. However, online marketing can not only increase your market outreach but also improve your brand reputation.
You can start by utilizing social media channels like Facebook Business, Instagram Business, LinkedIn and Twitter. With 75% of the global population on social media platforms, it is a great place to start marketing your brand.
You may also want to consider posting paid ads on platforms like Google AdWords to reach more potential customers. Email marketing is another great marketing tool that can be used to retain existing customers and attract new ones.
You can send newsletters, share discounts and ask for referrals via email. SMS marketing is another avenue that has the highest click-through rates, more than any form of digital marketing.
You can leverage SMS marketing by integrating it with scheduling software like Emitrr which comes with built-in customizable templates for text messages to send in one click to multiple recipients. It can be integrated with your IVR to keep your customers engaged in unforeseen instances like high call volumes or closure of business during holidays, to name a few.
7. Add personalization
In the digital world where people are inundated with information, even a little bit of personalization can go a long way in securing loyal customers for your business. You can impress new clients by offering personalized services and showing them they are valued.
Sharing personalized messages and offers with your existing clients on important days show that you have gone extra mile for them. It is a great way to convert your regular customers into brand loyalists. Personalization speaks directly to your important clients and shows that you want to offer exceptional customer service in a high-level way.
8. Invest in an effective CRM software
One of the key elements in your cleaning business marketing plan should be investing in effective CRM software. A solid Customer relationship management software (CRM) can make a world of difference in streamlining your cleaning business.
With the cleaning business software, you can automate scheduling and cancellations, maintain a seamless database, track reviews, send automated texts, assign work to your staff, maintain payment logs, and do much more.
Emitrr is a smart receptionist that works as an all-in-one communication platform to engage customers, send appointment reminders, and manage customer experience throughout their purchase journey.
The great thing about Emitrr is that it connects with the customer where they are via their desired mode of communication. You can use Emitrr with your website as well as the app to streamline and amplify the entire communication process while reducing no-shows and cancellations.
9. Think outside of the box
Have an eye for creative and innovative advertising techniques that will catch potential customers’ eye while pitching. You can host a party or local event to invite people and let them know about your cleaning business.
Distribute your business cards around local eateries and neighborhood shops. Try guest blogging to reach more audience. You can even turn your car into an advertisement billboard to spread the word.
10. Emphasize the benefits
Instead of focusing just on the features, emphasize the benefits of booking your cleaning services over others. You can outline perks and advantages on your website to let customers know why you stand out.
Highlight your reward program, discounts, free estimates, complimentary add-ons, etc. so that customers feel encouraged to try your services.
Marketing Ideas with zero to low-budget investment
Got no money? No problem! You can promote your business without spending huge on marketing. Here are some platforms that can be leveraged to market your business for free and without wasting a lot of time –
- Google Business account: You can create a free Google Business profile that allows your business to show up on Google Maps and other relevant products. Make sure to optimize your profile accordingly to show up in Google searches on top.
- Social Media Marketing: It costs nothing to create your account on various top social media channels like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Engaging with your community is just a post away on these platforms. Create attractive business accounts on these sites to garner increased engagement and build a strong community while spreading brand awareness. You can also take advantage of free resources like polls, quizzes and contests to create posts that are easy to target. You can use hashtags to broaden your organic reach.
- YouTube marketing: You can increase your outreach by publishing great video content on YouTube and you do not need a huge budget for that in the beginning. Video is the most popular medium for consumers these days and it even lets you embed links to the products on your website. Anyone can click on those links and they will take your viewers directly to your webpage. You can add product demos or engaging how-tos or behind-the-scenes coverage to build a deeper connection with your audience and market your brand in the best possible way.
- Recycle your old content: If you have been already marketing your content on various social media platforms, it is time to recycle it and widen your reach. There will be a ton of consumer segments who haven’t seen your old content. So, don’t shy away from recycling it.
- Run webinars: Another cool and effective way to market your business is with the help of webinars. These are informative and engaging at the same time. You can promote your webinar through an email newsletter and even share discount coupons with whoever attends your webinars as a gesture of gratitude.
To recap, don’t undermine the four Ps of marketing for creating an effective cleaning business marketing strategy that gets more leads to your door. Whatever happens, never stop marketing but make sure not to be too salesy to drive people away.
You can make your business more reachable with the help of a cleaning business software solution that ensures a seamless customer experience throughout the customer lifecycle.
With Emitrr, you can automate a plethora of your day-to-day business tasks so that you can focus on marketing and promoting your cleaning business like a pro.