Assisting patients with access to the right medical drugs is the responsibility of healthcare practitioners. This is to ensure that the patients take the right medicines in the right dosage at the right time. To communicate the same with the pharmacist, the doctor needs to fill out a prescription form.
In the next sections, let’s learn about the various benefits of having a prescription form in place, figure out the reasons why you must go paperless with prescription forms, and how you can digitize the Prescription Forms.
What Is A Prescription Form?
A prescription form is a form of written communication between a healthcare professional and a pharmacist. It is a document filled out by a healthcare professional to authorize a pharmacist to dispense prescription drugs to a patient.
It contains all the details of the medication prescribed by the physician (or prescriber), such as the prescriber’s information, patient information, medication prescribed including the name, dose, and dosage form, dispensing instructions, and number of refills.
Only a medical professional with a valid NPI number can prescribe medication to the patient. The form is filled by the healthcare provider or the prescriber and has to be signed and sent to the pharmacist.
Why Should You Digitize A Prescription Form?
In an era where nearly every process pertaining to care has become digitized, going paperless is definitely something that you can adopt and easily adapt to. Digitizing this form has several benefits, such as:
- Digitizing the form means you can integrate the form with your EHR, which will streamline workflows.
- If you want to refer to the Prescription Form on an urgent basis, you won’t have to shuffle through stacks of files for that one form. You can simply access it on your system.
- Whether you are a healthcare provider or a front desk manager, you’ll save ample time if the Prescription Form gets paperless. You will not have to download the form, fill it out, upload it again, and send it to the pharmacist. All these steps would be eliminated.
- Since the form is digital, there won’t be any confusion with the handwriting or the spelling of the medication prescribed. This will reduce any errors or chances of rework.
- The digitized Prescription Form will allow easy verification of the prescription and will ensure legal compliance.
How To Digitize A Prescription Form? Key Best Practices To Follow
Here’s how you can go digital with the Prescription Form:
- Fill out the form with all the required details and send it to the pharmacist via email or text message.
- Make sure that the Prescription Form is HIPAA-compliant to avoid any legal liabilities.
- Integrate the digital form with your EHR to ensure seamless access to records and consistency of information across platforms.
- Have technical safeguards in place to ensure safe transmission of sensitive PHI between the healthcare provider and the pharmacist.
How can Emitrr Help You Digitize The Prescription Form?
- You can download the Prescription Form available here and tweak it as per the laws of your jurisdiction.
- If you already have a paper prescription form, you can send it to us and we’ll digitize it for free.
- The form digitized by Emitrr is compatible with all devices and operating systems, ensuring easy accessibility for both the provider and the pharmacist.
- You can use Emitrr’s secure texting services to send the prescription form securely to the pharmacist, ensuring secure transmission of information.
In an era where everything is going digital, it is time to switch from those paper forms. Reach out to us to get your forms digitized for free now!