Table of Contents
As a business owner, it is important for you to have access to all communication channels that help you communicate with your employees and customers, establishing constant communication can become a challenge in various scenarios.
For instance, if you want to send an email marketing campaign on the run and don’t want to go through the hassle of opening your laptop and setting up the entire thing, wouldn’t it be great if you could just type in the text on your phone’s messaging app, hit SEND and successfully deliver an email to all your contacts?
You can send a text to email easily to your customers and employees, thereby ensuring smooth communication on the go 24×7. Eager to explore the process? Well, let’s dive in!
Send text to email: What it means
When you send an SMS to email, you are using your mobile phone to send a message that your recipient will receive in their email inbox.
You type a text message from your mobile, which is not delivered to the customer’s phone number, but to their email ID and any response from the recipient will be sent through their email inbox and will land in your SMS inbox. Isn’t that amazing?
Well, a functionality like SMS to email comes in handy in a variety of situations that require urgent communication of information.
It can be a useful way to manage and organize useful information in one place, especially for those who prefer to communicate through email rather than text.
How to send text to email: The process
This is how you send text to email:
Step-1: Open your primary messaging app
Open your text message app to compose a new message.
Step-2: Add the email ID of the recipient
In the ‘recipient’ field, where you’d normally enter a phone number, enter the recipient’s email address instead and that’s all you need to do once you enter the email ID the carrier will automatically deliver your message to the email inbox of the recipient by creating an Email ID using your phone number.
Essentially your number will be transformed into a similar Email ID. The recipient will see this ID when they receive the message.
For example- If your phone number is 11223344 and your carrier is AT&T, then your ID will look like this: [email protected] and this is the Email ID your recipients will get an email from.
Here’s the domain carrier list for your reference:
Step-3: Compose your message
Now it is time to compose your message. Make sure that the message is around 160 characters long to avoid any message breakup or additional texting charges.
Step-4: Hit send!
Your sent message will appear in the recipient’s email inbox.
The recipient will receive the email with a .txt file as an attachment. If your message contains audio files, pictures, or videos; then those will come as attachments as well. When the recipient responds to your message, you’ll receive it as a text message.
Advantages of sending SMS to email
- Record keeping: As a business owner, sending a text to email can prove to be quite advantageous for compliance purposes, as you can keep a record of your communications with your customers.
- Integrations: As a business owner, you can automate your workflows as per the incoming text messages by having software that integrates with email that way you will have a centralized system to manage all customer communications.
- Accessibility: Text messages are accessible to everyone. However, when certain customers do not have access to their phones or just prefer receiving business communication via Email, sending text messages to their email addresses is the best way to communicate with them.
- Cost-effective: Sending text messages to email is less expensive than making phone calls or other marketing campaigns.
- Personalization: Businesses can also send personalized text messages to email and customize messages as per scenarios and the purpose of the communication. This improves customer experience and satisfaction.
- Time-saving: Text-to-email services allow automation of communications, which makes it easier for businesses to send important information to their customers quickly and efficiently.
Top use cases of sending SMS to email
There are various use cases that require sending texts to email, such as:
- Email Marketing campaigns: If you have to send email marketing campaigns to your customers, but do not have your laptop handy, then you can easily send a text to email on the fly using your phone.
- Sending messages through the customer’s preferred channel: Some customers just prefer business communication via email over phone calls or SMS, that’s where sending a text to email can help. You can send important alerts or urgent communication to your customers through mediums that both you and your customer prefer.
- Communicating urgent information: So what if you do not have access to your laptop or your SMS software? You can still easily communicate with your customers by sending them text messages that will appear in their email inboxes. Also, the ease of use that mobile phones bring along is another reason why business owners find it convenient to converse in such a manner.
- Forwarding text to email: When you want to forward an important message to one of your customers or employees but can’t reach them on their phone numbers, then you can forward the text message to their email IDs.
- Efficient customer service: Sending SMS to email is a great way to provide timely customer support, as the representatives can easily manage and respond to queries.
- Sending notifications, alerts, and reminders: Sending SMS to email allows for easy communication of important information such as alerts, appointment and payment reminders, and notifications to the customers.
- Two-factor authentication: In order to verify user identity, businesses use SMS for two-factor authentication. In such a case sending an SMS to email can help recipients easily access the authentication code.
- HR activities: Human Resource professionals can send SMS to email to communicate important updates regarding hiring and training to employees, candidates, and managers.
- Sales: SMS to email is a great way to boost sales as it allows businesses to connect and update potential customers. All they need to do is pick up their mobile phone, type a message, and keep potential customers engaged throughout their customer journey.
- Survey and feedback: By sending survey messages from SMS to email, businesses can easily track and analyze responses.
- Internal communication: If your team works remotely and you need to communicate important information, then sending a text to email is a great way to ensure a smooth flow of communication.
How to forward SMS to email
If you want to forward a text message instead of writing a fresh one, all you need to do is open the messages app and open the message that you wish to forward. Select the message and click on ‘forward’. Now enter the email ID you wish to forward the message to. This process is not generic for all and varies with the device and messaging app that you have. To ease out the process for you, we have explained the process for both iPhone and Android:
Open your messages app, select the messages you want to forward, select ‘More’, and then ‘Forward’. You’ll be redirected to a new MMS screen. In the ‘To’ section, enter the email address, and hit Send!
Open your messages app, and select the messages you wish to forward. In the top right corner, you’ll see three vertical dots. Click on those dots and select ‘Forward’. If you have saved the email ID of the person as a contact, then select from the contacts list. If you haven’t then choose ‘New Message’ and then type the email address. Hit send, and you’re done!
Please note that this feature isn’t available on every android device, and even the SMS application varies with the carrier.
FAQs: Send text to email
Is there a limit to the number of text messages that can be sent to an email ID?
There are certain policies and guidelines of email providers and mobile carriers that may put a limit to the number of messages that can be sent. Either there is a daily or monthly limit for sending messages set by email providers and mobile carriers, or extra charges are applicable when the messages exceed sending limits.
Is there a limit to the number of texts that can be forwarded to an email ID?
While there isn’t any such limit with respect to forwarding SMS to email, there can be storage limits set by the email provider. It is best to keep deleting old and irrelevant messages to maintain storage space.
How is text-to-email billed?
The standard texting rates (MMS and SMS) apply when you send messages depending on the carrier and your plan.
Are there any security concerns while sending messages to email?
Yes, multiple security concerns arise while sending SMS to email such as phishing attacks, spoofing, and access to sensitive information by unauthorized parties along the transmission channels. To avoid these risks, make sure the messages are end-to-end encrypted.
When you send a text to email, it ensures that both messages are received in the preferred channels of both the recipient and the sender. You can even do it the other way around by sending emails to text to your recipients.
Are you finding it hard to meet growing texting needs and are looking for a solution? Emitrr’s text message marketing will help you send meaningful texting campaigns to your customers with ease and also track metrics. Book a demo to know more.